Monday, April 9, 2012

When Tulle Attacks

So.....I know how to make a no sew tutu.  Made quite a few of them to go with costumes.  The black and pink cupcake cheerleader, Bones from the episode with the science guy, as well as various play ones.


 I had a lady at the school ask me to make one for her daughter.   My biggest complaint with the no sew tutu is that they bunch up and cling and end up looking messy.   So I decided I wanted to make a sewn tutu.  Let me just preface by saying I am not that good at sewing yet.  Ultimately......I gave up.  Decided to make the no sew skirt but with two big twists.
Number one, I did the tying on a piece of ribbon first and sewed the elastic into a casing around the skirt.   This idea did not work well.  It ended up twisty and bulky and I didn't care for it much at all.   Unfortunately it was too late to change but I won't be doing that again.  
The second thing I did was more successful though.   I sewed a simple circle skirt.   I got the tutorial from Dana at Made (here is the link) http://www.danamadeit.com/2008/07/tutorial-the-circle-skirt.html.
It is an awesome tutorial and helped me out a lot.   I attached the circle skirt to the underside of the tutu.  Not only did it keep the tutu from bunching up as much underneath, but it also made it a little less transparent.  I used a big satin bow to hide any other flaws.  Turned out pretty good, but soon I may let the tulle attack me fully again and try my hand at a sewn tutu.   I will let you know! (I will post pictures soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment